A user-friendly website, mobile app and great products are no longer enough to thrive online. Fortunately, there’s a solution, which is a MUST for eCommerce businesses: blog content.
Why your eCommerce site needs blog content
For three good reasons: traffic, leads and sales.
According to Hubspot, eCommerce businesses that have their own blogs and publish regularly generate more traffic and leads than those without blogs. Why?
- Brand building: a blog is the best way to share your brand identity and values, as well as to tell your stories. It is also your best chance to become an authority in your niche.
- Showcase your products. They are great, but can you make them more attractive? Can you show your customers how to make the most of them?
- Reach new audiences and boost engagement. In other words: more traffic and an audience happy to become your customers.
- Lead generation: leverage your email list.
- User retention. If your content is good, users will have one more reason to keep coming back.
How to work on your eCommerce content strategy
Before you start taking pictures of all your products, planning great newsletters and writing great content, you need to build the basis of your content strategy:
- Define your purpose by identifying challenges and goals
- Define your brand identity: voice, personality, story and values.
- Identify your customers: your target customer profiles.
- Build your publishing plan: what to publish and when.
- Plan distribution: how to drive traffic to your articles.
- Work on conversion: how to convert visitors to subscribers.
- Don’t forget about measurement: define your KPIs and monitor data.
- Technology will be your friend here: think about the tools you’ll need to execute your strategy.
How can this content help you showcase your products?
Apart from the above benefits, you need to remember the ultimate goal: selling your products. One proven way to make them more appealing and to show their full potential is by creating awesome editorial content.
If you had to choose between a nice T-shirt on a table and the nice t-shirt that a good-looking person is wearing while happily reading an interesting book in their lovely, comfortable home, which would you buy?
A nice environment creates a halo effect. The t-shirt in the shop catalog looks like any other nice T-shirt. However, the T-shirt in your article is not just a thing, but part of your life – a precious object that you will enjoy and love. Also, it will enhance your look and make you more stylish.
Could your customers maybe also see a few seasonal looks? Can you offer additional style tips? Or perhaps there’s a story to tell about its manufacture or how to fold it like Marie-Kondo?
Blog content unlocks the power of the products you are selling. It shows how they can transform your life, your home, the way you look.
So, yes, having a great catalog is important. It should be well-organized, clear and complete. But if you really want to let your customers know that your products aren’t just products, there is only one thing you can do: work on editorial content. Start a blog, then build a newsletter and distribute original, creative images on your social channels. The effort will definitely pay off.
Want to boost your social media content too? Check out this post.
How can I create blog content for my eCommerce business?
To create a successful blog, you need to create a content strategy. For that, you should define your purpose and brand identity, define your target audience and KPIs and focus on driving conversions.
How can content help me sell my products?
Content allows you to promote and display your products and services in an appealing way, showing their benefits and offering them as a solution to your user’s problems.