Welcome back to our blog, marketers!
After having analyzed how to use color psychology in marketing -hey, wait! Have you missed this article? Click here and discover how colors play an important role in how your brand is perceived-, this week we’ll talk about another fundamental element that influences the way followers and customers perceive your brand: typography.
As the renowned British designer, Matthew Carter, once said:
Type is a beautiful group of letters, not a group of beautiful letters.
What is a font?
But let’s start from the beginning, explaining the definition of font:
A font is a collection of characters with a similar design. These characters include lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers, punctuation marks, and symbols.Source: techterms.com
Top 3 most used fonts in advertising
It may be old, but it’s still one of the most beautiful and used fonts ever.
Don’t you think so?
- Futura is geometric sans-serif typeface designed by Paul Renner and released in 1927. It is based on geometric shapes, similar in spirit to the Bauhaus design style of the period. People all over the world still love and use it!
But, what about the most hated font ever? Have you guessed it?
Yes, the winner is Comic Sans.
This font was invented in 1994 by Vincent Connare for some of the first Microsoft home computers. As mentioned in this funny article of designforhackers.com “Everyone loves to hate Comic Sans”!
What’s your opinion on this? Are you a fan or a hater of Comic Sans?
Leave us a comment, we will read you!
Why is typography so important in advertising?
- It’s much more than choosing a beautiful font:
Typography is an essential component of user interface design.
- It builds brand recognition:
Your users will associate the typeface featured on your site with your brand.
Do you wanna know more about brand identity? Check out our tips in this article!
- It attracts the attention of possible clients:
As you can imagine, your website has to be visually stimulating and typography plays an important role in this process.
- (Last but not least) Typography influences decision making:
Don’t forget that eye-catching types can reinforce the message of your texts.
How to choose the right typography for your website?
- Remember that the selected font should reflect the ‘style’ and the personality of your business.
2. Always choose typefaces that are web browser friendly.
3. Analyze your competitors: What fonts are they using?
4. Use no more than four fonts on one page.
5. Take some time to test the selected fonts and analyze the performance.
6. For headings and calls to action use larger font sizes rather than plain tex.
Do you wanna know one more fun fact?
According to facts.net:
There’s a font size for the optimal reading speed online. Ideally, fonts for online material should always stay at 10 pt and above.
Certain fonts also read easier, such as Arial, Georgia, Verdana, and Times New Roman.
What's the best font for advertising?
There is no right answer to this question, as it depends on your brand’s image and the message you want to send to your clients and other stakeholders. However, the most used fonts in advertising are Helvetica, Bodoni and Futura.
Why is typography important in advertising?
Typography in advertising is a vital part of your branding strategy because it reflects your brand’s personality. The fonts you use are crucial to reinforce your message, engage your current clients and attract potential ones.
How can brands choose the best font for their brand?
Apart from reflecting the brand’s personality, marketers must choose fonts that are web browser friendly, there must not be more than four fonts per page and they must be constantly monitored in order to analyze their performance and finally choose the ones that work the best.
What are the most used fonts in advertising?
The most common fonts used in the advertising industry are mainly three: Helvetica and Futura, both sans-serif fonts and Bonodi, a serif font designed at the end of the 18th century.